Remember Mom telling you to sit up straight? Mom was right (once again). Good posture feels good and helps avoid muscle strain, leading to better health. Added bonus: You look better, too.
Good Posture Benefits Your Body
Posture affects more than just your back and neck. Research shows that poor posture can cause depression, digestive aliments, and stress. Poor posture can:
- Increase stress on ligaments
- Cause muscle strain and misalignments of bones and joints
- Cause abnormal wear on joints
- Cause low back or knee pain
- Cause headaches and neck and upper back pain
Because these factors can cause pain and illness, it’s important to pay attention to your posture.
Practice Makes Perfect Posture
Upright and relaxed is the recipe for perfect posture, and the way to get it is through practice. You don’t need to rig up a posture strap to improve your posture. Just start practicing, and soon the muscles will do the work for you.
Tips and Tricks for Better Posture
To begin, be aware of your posture as you sit or stand. Relax your arms and pull your shoulders back. When sitting, keep both feet on the floor and use low-back support, if the seat warrants.
- Stand upright and look in the mirror. The right and left sides of your body should match. Turn sideways. Your head, shoulders, hips, and feet should be stacked up in a vertical line. Don’t lean!
- Manage your workstation ergonomics. Your monitor should be at eye level. Your elbows should be at a 90-degree angle as you type, and your feet should be flat on the floor.
- Ask your chiropractor whether custom foot orthotics are needed to correct imbalances.
Good Posture Looks Good
There’s a side benefit to improving your posture: You look better (just as Mom said you would). Poor posture makes you look heavier and older. Stand tall and people will notice!
King Chiropractic Can Help Your Posture
When you’re ready to improve your posture, King Chiropractic can help.
- We can help correct any misalignments or muscle tensions that are hindering your perfect posture.
- We can suggest exercises to strengthen and lengthen strategic muscle groups that affect posture.
- We can evaluate the need for custom orthotics to balance the body.
So stand up straight and call King Chiropractic today at (910) 777-7228 for an appointment to evaluate your posture. We’ll help you straighten up and stand tall, so you can look and feel your personal best.