January is our big chance! After piling on a few pounds during the holiday celebrations, we’re more motivated than ever to get in shape.Yes, losing weight is once again the most common New Year’s resolution.
But too often, we fall short. We join a gym and never work out, or we hold onto that muffin top and maybe even add a little to it. How can we change that? How can we make New Year’s resolutions we’ll actually keep?
One way is to change our way of thinking. It’s fun to think about how nice we’ll look when we lose 15 pounds, and it’s not as much fun to do the work to achieve that. But small steps toward our goals are the way—the only way—to get that fit, slender body. Let’s look at some small steps toward a healthier body; small resolutions you can actually keep.
Add Healthy Choices to Your Diet
Rather than giving up soda or French fries, add some healthy choices to your meals and snacks.
- Add a serving or two of vegetables to your meals.
- Add color to your meal: Green, red, yellow, orange, and purple.
- Add water to your diet: 2-3 glasses extra per day.
- Add fruit and nuts to your snack choices.
- Add nutritious foods only. Don’t add any new processed foods.
See Related: Where to Purchase Local Produce in Wilmington, NC
Make a Date with Exercise
- Get out your calendar and schedule in exercise times. When it’s in writing, it’s harder to skip.
- Sneak in exercise! Park two blocks from work. Return your shopping cart—and someone else’s.
- Walk the dog twice a day. No dog? Borrow one.
Cooking is the Best Way to Eat Healthy Food
Maybe it’s the only way to really eat healthy meals. When you cook, you can:
- Add healthy ingredients, like veggies.
- Control portion size.
- Pack healthy lunches for the next day instead of eating out.
If you’re not usually a cook, start by cooking one or two meals at home per week. You’ll find cooking is easy on your wallet and it brings family members to the kitchen to chat. And it can be delicious!
Pay Attention to Your Food
One of the best ways to change your eating habits is to be mindful. Stop watching TV, put away your phone, and enjoy your meal and the company you’re keeping as you eat. This has great benefits:
- You’ll taste your food more and enjoy it more.
- You’ll enjoy the company or the view—enjoy being where you are.
- You’ll notice when you’re full.
By breaking down your resolution into small goals, it’s easier to follow your small steps toward a smaller figure. It’s easy to accomplish your small goals of eating more greens, slowing down your meals, and cooking healthy fare. And the small feats will quickly add up. Before you know it, you’ve lost those 15 pounds.
For pain relief or to improve your athletic performance, consult King Chiropractic. We offer adjustments and therapies designed to soothe your aches and pains and help you develop a stronger, healthier body. Call King Chiropractic at (910) 777-7228 today to schedule an appointment and start feeling better!