This week we welcome Dr. Ralph Fox, sex therapist, to the podcast. He’s one of only two licensed sex therapists in Wilmington, NC.
The Daily Adjustment 31 Podcast Highlights
- 0:47 – Introducing Dr. Ralph Fox, sex therapist
- 1:11 – Beer of the Week: Guinness Extra Stout
- 2:59 – Sponsor Message from King Chiropractic
- 5:20 – What’s Dr. Fox’s background and what got him started as a sex therapist?
- 6:50 – Are people skeptical about sex therapists?
- 7:58 – Are there any generalizations you can make about where sex-issues come from?
- 9:50 – One thing that made a huge difference was the book 50 Shades of Grey coming out?
- 11:15 – On a long enough timeline, is there a risk to sharing intimate desires with your SO?
- 14:30 – The difference between men and women when paying for sex
- 15:30 – How much is aging a concern? (referenced Patrice O’Neal bit)
- 21:00 – Retirement Homes are hotbeds of sex and debauchery… and people are moving to different retirement homes that allow dating
- 22:00 – Why do people stop having sex?
- 23:21 – Do sexual issues have roots in early-childhood development?
- 26:50 – How does Dr. Fox’s job affect his relationship?
- 28:40 – Is there a place for misogyny in a relationship?
- 31:20 – Talking about a Patrice O’Neal bit on men in love
- 32:03 – Mating In Captivity book
- 34:02 – For women, security is desirable but it eats away at sexiness
- 34:50 – Any interesting or weird stories that you’ve heard? Medical fetishes. Furries. Dr. King sounds kinda shocked.
- 38:45 – How much of sex problems are about power?
- 40:00 – Don’t roll out your issues on the first date. Counterpoint: Do roll out your issues on a first date.
- 41:55 – Do you think people would benefit from watching other couples go through therapy?
- 42:30 – The worst thing ever put into the public consciousness is the idea of the Ideal Relationship. It doesn’t exist. All relationships require work.
- 44:00 – “The best thing I can tell a man to tell a woman is ‘yes’.”
- 45:00 – Before a serviceman departs for deployment there’s invariably a huge fight before deployment. The function is to create space.
- 45:30 – Is it true that crazy girls are better in bed?
- 47:20 – Do men have issues being analyzed?
- 49:38 – A brief detour into existentialism
- 51:42 – Sex is about two things: 1. kids, 2. fun
- 54:15 – How important is hormone replacement therapy to female libido?
- 59:40 – Has Dr. Fox ever met/treated a Bug Chaser?
- 61:00 – How do you recommend somebody with an STD approach that conversation when getting into a relationship?
- 63:52 – What’s “normal” is really just “normal” to you.
- 64:36 – Open relationships
If you like what we’re doing here be sure to like, comment, and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes. When you do you’ll get a new edition of The Daily Adjustment each week.
If you have a question for Dr. King, leave a comment here or send it to us on Facebook. If we read your question on the air, your next/first visit is free!